An Overview about Sylhet Women’s Medical College and Hospital, Sylhet, Bangladesh
Sylhet Women’s Medical College was established in the year 2005 in Bangladesh with the sole aim of providing best medical education to the female candidates and it is one of the best medical institutes in Bangladesh.
Furthermore, SWMC is found in central Sylhet, in Mirboxtola and is also affiliated with Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST) under the School of Medical Sciences.
In north-eastern Bangladesh, Sylhet may be a metropolitan city but the town is located 199 kilometres faraway from Dhaka. On the contrary, in north-eastern Bengal, the city is situated on the proper banks of the Surma River and it has a population of about 531,663, according to the 2011 Bangladesh census.
Moreover, within the Bangladeshi economy, Sylhet has played an important role as it is one of the most important spiritual and cultural centres in Bangladesh. The town of Sylhet is the fourth largest city in the Republic of Bangladesh and due to its low population density it is one of the peaceful cities to live in as compared to the capital city Dhaka or Chittagong.
The design of the college building is done in such a way that it gives the Sylhet Women’s Medical College and hospital an extra ordinary feel and its unique architectural design makes the aspirants feel more special.
Built in the heart of Sylhet, on 130,000 square feet of land, with a 3 high-rise building, Sylhet Women’s Medical College and Hospital is a place of the art teaching and medical facility.
The medical institute provides a five-year study program directing to a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree along with one year internship and the campus of the institutes is completely well-structured which focusses entirely on the development of its aspirants.
Moreover, Sylhet Women’s Medical College and Hospital provides aspirants with the opportunity to do their internship in the hospitals attached to it i.e., three 9 storey buildings multi-speciality tertiary maintenance referral hospital with 625 beds and all modern equipment open for 24 hours and many other facilities within the premises such as cafeteria, pharmacy, etc.
Our guiding principle at Sylhet Women's Medical College and Hospital is "Excellence in Healthcare & Education'' and the internship is both nationally and internationally recognized which could easily earn them stipends around 156000.
Moving ahead, because the medical institute has an incredible location, it makes SWMC as on of the most preferred institute by many medical aspirants all around the globe. Furthermore, the campus of the medical institute is located just 8.7 kms away from the Osmani International airport of Sylhet.
From January 2020 onwards, the medical institute has been permitted to enrol 100 students every year, wherein 50% of the seats are for international students. The international aspirants are mostly from the South Asian countries such as India, Pakistan, Nepal, etc.
Since the very beginning, Sylhet is known for its harmony, peaceful co-existence and mutual respect among its citizens of various faiths and is religiously very diverse.
Indian medical aspirants will be glad to know that Sylhet Women’s Medical College Bangladesh follows the same syllabus as that of Indian Medical Council. Moreover, it not only follows the syllabus but also the same Indian author books and journals for the complete five years program of the MBBS course.
This is the reason why, aspirants from Indian can study without any stress in Bangladesh universities because all the universities follow the same pattern and degree provided by them are also authorised by the National Medical Commission of India.
Apart from this, the Sylhet Women’s Medical College Bangladesh comes among the top best medical colleges for girls in the entire country. So, all the international female aspirants can acquire best possible medical knowledge for their course of MBBS.
Quick highlights about Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital
Pursuing MBBS in Abroad is one of the most important decisions of any medical aspirant as it is one of the most noble professions out of all careers and aspirants should leave no stone unturned while exploring and gathering as much information as possible about their medical university, they are planning to get admissions into. Some of the quick highlights about the Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital are as follows:
|Year of Establishment
||Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoH &FW) of the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh BMDC, University of Dhaka
||WHO and NMC
||60% in Physics, Chemistry and Biology Aggregate
||5 + 1 Year Internship
||Yes, with qualifying marks
|Medium of Teaching
Recognition & Affiliation of Sylhet Women's Medical College and Hospital
Before proceeding ahead with the other details of the medical institute, let us see the accreditation of the Sylhet Women’s Medical College and hospital from Bangladesh by the below mentioned organisations:
- Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- National Medical Council (NMC)
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
Why Pursue MBBS at Sylhet Women's Medical College and Hospital
Let us look at some of the most important factors on why international medical aspirants should choose Sylhet Women’s Medical College and hospital and they are as follows:
- To begin with Sylhet Women’s Medical College and hospital provides the course of MBBS in English and this is the major reason on why aspirants all around the world choose this medical institute for their medical studies.
- Unlike other western countries, in the Republic of Bangladesh, aspirants do not require to clear IELTS or TOEFL as per the requirement of admission procedure or even to work or practise in the country.
- The Sylhet Women’s Medical College and hospital is officially approved.
- Moreover, the medical institute provides, world class medical education at an extremely affordable fee and the cost of living in the country is also very low as compared to the other western and European countries.
- Furthermore, the medical institute comprises of total 35 departments in the field of medicine which is related to research and it also provides aspirants with scholastic assets and offices for lab & lecture.
- The medical institute has implemented modern techniques in order to provide all its medical aspirants a more systematic way of theoretical and practical learning.
- The Sylhet Women’s Medical College and hospital provides degrees that are globally recognized because of which aspirants can choose to practise and work anywhere in the world.
- Adding to this, the institute has more than 150 different professors and teaching staff as a part of their faculty in the medical field.
- Not only this, the best part about the medical institute is that the aspirants pursuing MBBS in SWMC can do their internship in the hospitals attached to its campus, as a multi-special treatment hospital is situated within the premises of the college.
- This is one of the major advantages for all the medical aspirants who are in their clinical years during their course of MBBS in SWMC.
- During their internship in SWMC, aspirants are also provided with stipends because of which they no longer have to depend on their parents’ money as they can support themselves financially.
- Currently, there are 400 medical aspirants pursuing MBBS in SWMC from many South Asian countries, out of which 200 are from India and every year the ratio of medical aspirants choosing SWMC for their MBBS course is increasing gradually.
- The medical institute not only has well equipped infrastructure, but its faculty and expert staff also encourages aspirants to get better and better in their professional field along with providing best exposure to practical knowledge as it is one of the most important things in the field of medicine.
- The E-library is fully air-conditioned in the serene atmosphere and is completely loaded with all kind of medical books and journals so that the aspirants can acquire as much information as possible and that there is no hindrance caused to their studies. This is the main reason on why all the medical books are made available to all its medical aspirants.
- Apart from all this, the medical institute also organizes health camps, cultural events and sports events at the end of the semester in order to boosts its aspirant’s physical growth.
- Not to forget, as the majority of the aspirants are from India, the medical institute also celebrates all the Indian festivals with great joy and enthusiasm.
The Advantages of pursuing the course of MBBS in Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital
Apart from some of the most important factors, we have also mentioned the advantages of pursuing MBBS at Sylhet Women’s Medical College and Hospital and they are as follows:
- Firstly, the biggest advantage of pursuing MBBS at SWMC is that the admission procedure is extremely simple as it does not involve any lengthy procedures and is completely stress free.
- Moreover, the fees structure of the medical institute is so low that the aspirants do not have to face the financial burden during the entire duration while pursuing their course of MBBS in SWMC.
- Apart from the above-mentioned advantages, one of the best benefits is that Sylhet Women’s Medical College and Hospital comes under the top best medical colleges for girls in Bangladesh as it is is one of the premium institutes for medical science in Dhaka.
- In addition to it, there is no ragging or other such activities in the college, hence making it extremely safe for all the medical aspirants all around the world. In fact, not only the college even the country and the city both are safe for all the foreign aspirants.
- For various accomplishments of students, several humanitarians, sports clubs and social services, SWMC also provides practical knowledge and research for exposure.
- There is a cafeteria in the college wherein Indian food is also available due to which aspirants do not have to eat outside and the meals are prepared under hygienic conditions. The cost of the food is not only reasonable but at the same time it is healthy and nutritious which is also made keeping in mind the taste of the aspirants of the college.
- Out of all the advantages, one of the biggest advantages for any medical aspirants is that a multi-special medication hospital is attached to the college within the campus and the aspirants can take huge benefits from it while doing their clinical practice.
- The main aim of the college is to provide its aspirants with good levels of patient satisfaction, all sorts of medical practical chances in their best fully structured academic labs as well as the highest possible quality of effective care and treatment at a low cost.
- Apart from all this, the medical institute also conducts 4 professional examinations at the end of the year and also provides aspirants with serene environment for studying.
- The medical institute has made progressive development in the field of education, especially in the field of medicine in terms of exposure to practical knowledge and theoretical learning both in the medical field.
- Moreover, the faculty and the teaching staff of the medical institute are well experienced and highly qualified as they have successfully completed their graduation and post-graduation from the top Universities in the world.
- Not to forget, the medical institute also provide its aspirants with ample of opportunities to showcase their creativity and other talents by conducting various extracurricular activities in the college.
The Duration of the Course of MBBS in Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital
The Sylhet Women’s Medical College provides all its medical aspirants with 5 years of the MBBS program with the following description:
- The Sylhet Women’s Medical College and hospital is officially recognized by WHO, NMC/MCI, UNESCO and various other Medical Councils of international countries offers a 5-year course of MBBS program along with 1-year compulsory internship in the hospital attached to the medical institute for all its medical aspirants.
- The hospital is not only attached within the campus of the medical institute but also provide stipends to all its aspirants because of which the aspirants can support themselves for their further studies.
Various Faculties for the course of MBBS at Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital
There are is an expert group of well experienced teaching staff and other professors for every faculty of medicine in the Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital and the faculties are as follows:
- Basic Science
- Community Medicine
- Department of Pathology
- Forensic Medicine
- Medicine & Allied
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Surgery & Allied
Eligibility Criteria to pursue the course of MBBS at Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital
Mentioned below are some of the most important eligibility criteria that every Indian medical aspirant needs to follow in order to pursue the course of MBBS at Sylhet Women’s Medical College and hospital and they are:
- In order to become eligible for MBBS admission, the aspirants must have qualified for an examination like HS/’A’ level or any equivalent exam.
- Indian medical aspirants need to appear and qualify on the NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) as per the NMC guidelines that every aspirant planning to pursue MBBS from foreign medical colleges should qualify NEET.
- In 10th standard/ SSC / ‘O’ level or equivalent examination, aspirants need to score a minimum aggregate GPA of 7.
- In 12th standard/ HSC / or any equivalent examination, aspirants need to score a minimum aggregate GPA of 3.5.
- In Biology of 12th standard, aspirants need to secure a minimum GPA of 3.5.
- The top 5 marks in the subjects are considered in order to calculate the GPA against the marks obtained in SSC/ ‘O’ level examination or any equivalent examination. Thus, for ‘O’ levels, the GPA is calculated as Total marks in all top 5 subjects divided by 5.
- The top 3 marks in the subjects Physics, Chemistry, and Biology are considered in order to calculate the GPA against the marks obtained in 12th standard/ HSC/ ‘A’ level examination or any equivalent examination. Thus, for ‘A’ level the GPA is calculated as Total marks in all top 3 subjects divided by 3.
Admission Procedure for pursuing the course of MBBS at Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital
One of the most important things while securing MBBS admissions in any international medical university is the admission procedure and the admission procedure in the Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital is very simple which do not involve any lengthy procedures. The admission procedure all the aspirants need to follow for securing MBBS admissions in SWMC are mentioned below:
Step 1. Fill the Application Form completely and correctly as an incomplete and inaccurate details can lead to the admission form getting rejected.
Step 2. Along with the Application form, aspirants need to submit all the academic documents such as 10th marksheet, 12th marksheet, NEET scorecard, Birth Certificate and Passport size photographs.
Step 3. Aspirants need to see to it that all the documents are attested from Bangladesh High Commission, Delhi as per the requirement of the admission procedure of the Bangladesh medical college.
Step 4. Aspirants need to submit their passport in order to acquire the visa invitation letter from the Bangladesh Visa Embassy.
Aspirants can apply for their passport at https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in /AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink
Step 5. The university will send the offer letter for Sylhet Women’s Medical College and hospital admission after it has accepted the aspirant’s application after which aspirants just need to submit the mark sheets with all the documents at Bengal Deputy High Commission, Kolkata with a 60$ payment to get the DGHS approval as after receiving the offer letter, aspirants do not need to apply at the DGHS for an Equivalent Certificate.
Step 6. After the Visas has been stamped from the Delhi Embassy, aspirants are all set to fly to their study destination in order to pursue their course of MBBS.
Documents required for Admission Procedure in order to pursue MBBS at Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital
All the medical aspirants who want to pursue the course of MBBS at the Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital must submit the following documents:
- 10th &12th Marksheet.
- Birth Certificate
- Migration certificate
- Transfer certificate
- NEET Scorecard
- 6 passport size photographs with white background, matte finish.
- HIV test results & Medical fitness certificate
- Medical insurance
- Police clearance certificate
- Student Visa
The Syllabus for the course of MBBS at Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital
For the course of MBBS, Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital follows the below mentioned syllabus during the complete duration of a five-year medicine program:
Biochemistry, Pathology, Pharmacology and Microbiology
Forensic medicine, Applied epidemiology, Family health internal medicine
Surgery, Genecology and Obstetrics, Paediatrics
Eye, ENT, Orthopaedic, Dentistry
Psychiatrist, Dermatologist, Radiologist, Anaesthesiology
4th – 5th Year
7th – 10th Semester
Oncology, Accident and emergency medicine, Genetic and clinical medicine, Neurology, Cardiology, Internal medicine, General medicine.
Hostel and Accommodation facilities at Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital
Sylhet Women’s Medical College and Hospital make sure that it provides all the essential facilities to its international medical aspirants in order to make their long stay for the duration of 5-year MBBS program as comfortable and fun as possible. Mentioned below are some of the world class hostel facilities provided by the SWMC:
- Sylhet Women’s Medical College and hospital provides world class hostel facilities to all its international medical aspirants along with good security.
- The medical institute provide hostels keeping in mind with all the essential equipment that an aspirant might need during their stay for such a long duration.
- Moreover, for the security of all its students, the hostels are all the time completely under strict CCTV surveillance.
- Apart from this, aspirants are also given the preferences for rooms, in case if they want a personal room or on sharing basis.
- Moving ahead, in the hostels, aspirants can also enjoy free WIFI connectivity which can be used for both study purpose or some leisure time during study breaks.
- Furthermore, the hostels also provide mess facilities with complete hygiene for 24 hours and the meals served are as per the taste of the aspirants.
Living Cost in Bangladesh
All the international medical aspirants planning to pursue MBBS in Bangladesh medical universities can enjoy their comfortable and affordable stay in the country by choosing to stay in hostels rather than renting an apartment. Moreover, the cost of living in Bangladesh is not only cheaper than many other western and European countries in the world but also cheaper when compared to India.
On the contrary aspirants are also provided with Indian food that too at an extremely reasonable cost and meals are prepared by taking care of complete sanitation and hygiene so that the aspirants do not fall sick and they are according to the taste of the aspirants so that they do not eat outside.
Why Choose Bangladesh in order to pursue the Course of MBBS?
- One of the most important reasons is that the Republic of Bangladesh is the South Asian neighbouring country of India.
- Moreover, in the South Asian countries, it is the sixth most popular country of Asia.
- Moving ahead, the MBBS degrees provided by the Bangladesh medical universities are recognized by WHO, UNESCO, NMC, FAIMER and many other Medical Council of other international countries.
- On addition to this, the country is also the member of the SSARC and APTA.
- On the other hand, Bangladesh medical universities not only provides affordable budget for studying and living in hostel secured urban campus to all its aspirants but it also provides its aspirants with the opportunity to do their internship in the hospitals attached to the medical college.
- Adding to this, Bangladesh medical universities conduct seminars so that its aspirants can get ample of opportunities to work and practice in other countries.
- Not to forget, the connectivity to the country is very smooth and easy as there are several flights connecting to almost all the airports of the country.
- In Bangladesh medical universities, the course of MBBS is provided with English as a medium of instruction.
- Not only this, the medical colleges provide all its teaching staff and the aspirants with the complete sense of freedom in teaching and learning process.
- Apart from all this, the medical institute is providing well-equipped furnishing, world class infrastructure with regards to hostel facilities and that too at an extremely reasonable cost.
- Bangladesh medical universities not only provides a variety of modern medicine and practical training but also maintains higher educational institutions for all the innovative experiences and research with complete freedom to explore your knowledge.
- Along with outstanding medical education and a good clinical exposure, Bangladesh medical universities also organizes health camps.
- Furthermore, if aspirants compare all the facilities provided by the Bangladesh medical colleges, then they will realize its huge benefits.
Our Guidance and Assistance for MBBS Admission in Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital
We at New Era Education will look after the complete admission procedure of the medical aspirants, visa procedure and all the other documentations which are mandatory and required during the procedure in order to get the offer letter as well as the Visa invitation letter. Our expert counsellors will also help the aspirants to choose the best university for MBBS in the country and will also provide the complete details of the medical college.
We at New Era Education are not there only at the time of the admission but for the entire duration of your course of MBBS program till your convocation and even after that.
Aspirants are suggested to get in touch with our expert counsellors for all the admission related queries and regarding MBBS in Abroad.
The Fees Structure for the course of MBBS in Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital for the year 2022-23
The fees structure for the entire five-year course of MBBS program at Sylhet Women's Medical College and hospital are as follows: