English medium universities and colleges are important in the field of medical education because they provide students with access to the latest research and advances in medicine. Additionally, the use of English as the language of instruction allows for a greater exchange of ideas and collaboration between students and faculty from around the world.
English medium universities and colleges also offer students the opportunity to learn from renowned medical professionals who may only be able to teach in English. Moreover, English is the language of the medical community, and having a strong command of the language allows for greater comprehension of medical terminology and concepts.
English medium universities/colleges are important in the field of medical education because they provide the international students with the opportunity to study MBBS in the language they are comfortable with. This allows the medical aspirants to get the best quality medical education from an international university without worrying about the language barrier.
The English medium medical universities/colleges also make it easier to communicate with the faculty and fellow medical students from different countries. This helps in building global networks and understanding different cultures.
Apart from that, studying MBBS in an English medium medical university/college also helps in developing an understanding of the medical terminology used in the international medical field. This can be beneficial for the students in the long run as they will be able to communicate without any language barrier in the international medical field.
English medium universities/colleges are also important in the field of medical education as they provide a great platform to the students to gain international exposure and to understand the latest medical practices and technologies in the world. This will help the students in staying up to date with the current medical trends and in getting the best quality medical education. While there are several advantages of pursuing the course of MBBS in Russia in English medium universities there are various disadvantages of pursuing the course of MBBS in bilingual universities in Russia or other Foreign countries. We have already mentioned some of the advantages of pursuing the course of MBBS in European and Asian countries like Russia and Bangladesh.
Some of the Disadvantages of pursuing the course of MBBS in Bilingual medical universities are as follows:
- Increased access to resources: English medium universities and colleges are also important in the field of medical education because they provide access to a variety of resources. Many medical textbooks and journals are written in English, so having access to these materials will help students to gain a deeper understanding of medical concepts. Additionally, many medical conferences are held in English, so having access to these conferences can be beneficial for students who want to stay up to date with the latest advancements in medicine.
- Improved communication: English medium universities and colleges are important in the field of medical education because they provide an opportunity for students to improve their communication skills. Medical students often need to communicate with other doctors, nurses, and patients, so having a strong command of the English language is essential for success. By studying in an English medium university or college, students can hone their communication skills and be better prepared for the professional world.
- International Platform: English medium universities provide a platform for Indian medical students to participate and compete with their international peers for advanced medical education. This helps them to get an international exposure and experience of medical education which is quite different from the standard Indian medical education.
- Lack of Quality Medical Education in Bilingual Universities: English medium medical universities are known for providing quality medical education. The international curriculum and teaching techniques used in these universities help students to get more knowledge and understanding of the medical field. This also helps them to stay updated with the latest medical advancements in the field. Due to the different language requirements, the curriculum for bilingual medical education can be inconsistent. This can lead to gaps in knowledge and different levels of proficiency in both languages, which can be detrimental to the overall quality of the education.
- Better Opportunities: English medium universities provide better job opportunities to Indian medical students. This is mainly because of the international recognition that these universities have. Moreover, the international affiliations and collaborations of these universities open up more doors for the Indian medical students to get into the global medical industry.
- Level of Difficulty: For any international medical aspirant pursuing the course of MBBS in bilingual language other than English is very difficult as they will first have to learn a new language which could take a lot of time and efforts in order to become fluent with it. While pursuing the course of MBBS in bilingual language, aspirants will not only have to focus on their studies but will also have to grasp the new language. So, Indian medical aspirants pursuing the course of MBBS in Russian medical universities in a bilingual language will find it difficult and after few years will think of taking a transfer to other English medium universities.
- NMC Gazette & Guidelines: As per the new NMC gazette and Guidelines circulated in the year 2021, it is important for all the Indian medical aspirants to pursue the course of MBBS in any foreign or Abroad medical universities with English as a medium of instruction if they want to practise in India or planning to pursue the course of post-graduation from Indian medical universities.
- Expensive Tuition Fees: Bilingual medical students are often required to pay higher tuition fees and other related expenses than regular medical students. This can be a financial burden for many students. Many medical universities abroad offer MBBS in English. This helps students who come from different countries, who do not know the language of the country they are studying in, to easily understand the course. This also helps them to communicate better with their peers and faculty. In addition to universities teaching MBBS in English, many universities also offer courses in other languages, such as French, Spanish, German, and Chinese. Moreover, bilingual medical education is more expensive than traditional medical education due to the additional cost of language classes and materials, additional faculty and staff, and the need for additional resources and equipment. It is important to research the language options offered by the university before enrolling in a medical university abroad. Most universities will have language options available and many will also help you to learn the language as part of the course.
- Difficulty in learning Specific Topics: This is an important issue that needs to be addressed. Bilingual medical students may find it difficult to keep up with the curriculum because of the language barrier. Since medical terminology is not always the same in different languages, it may be difficult for a bilingual medical student to understand the instructions and the concepts properly. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the curriculum is designed in a way that allows students to gain the appropriate knowledge of the medical topics.
Finally, bilingual medical students may also face difficulty in finding clinical and laboratory rotations due to the language barrier. This can be problematic for them as they may not be able to get the right kind of training and experience.
- No Time for Extra-Curricular Activities: Medical universities abroad are designed to provide a comprehensive educational experience to their students. They focus on providing the highest quality of medical education to their students while also providing them with a wide range of creative and athletic opportunities. This helps to ensure that students are receiving the best possible education while also staying engaged in a variety of activities. Bilingual universities abroad, however, focus primarily on providing medical education and leave little to no time for leisure activities. This can lead to students becoming bored with their studies and losing interest in their bilingual education. To help combat this, universities abroad should provide more opportunities for students to engage in creative and athletic activities. So, it is better to pursue the course of MBBS in English medium universities in any Abroad country.
- Time constraint: The most common issue faced in bilingual medical education is that of time constraint. Teaching the same curriculum in two languages can be a huge challenge for the teachers to finish it on time. Moreover, the students too need to spend more time on the same material to understand it in both the languages. This can be a great time-consuming task for both the teachers and the students. Due to the language requirements, bilingual medical education can take longer to complete than traditional medical education. This can lead to a longer period of study, which can be difficult for some students to manage.
- Miscommunication: Miscommunication can also be an issue in bilingual medical education. The students may not be able to understand the core concepts of the subject due to language barriers. Moreover, the teachers might be unable to explain the topics in detail to the students in both the languages. This can lead to a misunderstanding between the students and the teachers.
- Shortage of qualified Faculties and Teaching Staff: Bilingual medical education can be challenging due to the lack of qualified teachers and faculties who are proficient in both languages. This can result in medical students not receiving a comprehensive education in both languages, as well as a lack of cultural literacy and understanding.